Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Homemade body care products

I have had a few inquiries on my homemade body care stuff. So I took some time to compile a list and decided to post it here! I enjoy playing with this stuff and trying different recipes and products, so I usually just wing it. I get a lot of my ingredients at costco, some the grocery store or natural grocer. I use Young Living essential oils, because I don't trust store brand oils. I just ordered shae butter off amazon. So if you are interested, enjoy!


Homemade Lotion

1 part shae butter
1 part grape seed oil (or other oil of your choice but I found grape seed absorbs nicely)
A few drops of essential oil of your choice, (about 5 drops per cup?)
Whip together in a small blender (melt shae butter in microwave first if it is too hard or if it doesn't blend smooth)

Scent suggestions; lavender is the go to, but tea tree and frankincense are also great for skin issues.
Citrus smells nice but can be harmful to skin when in the sun.

Store in a shallow container or small mason jar.


Homemade Bodywash

1 part melted coconut oil 
1 part raw honey
1 part Dr Bronners liquid castile soap

I melt the oil in the microwave in a mason jar then add the ingredients to the jar. You can used the lines on the jar to measure. Easy and less messy. Then you just put the lid on, gently shake to mix and store in your shower for use! The honey usually separates so just shake gently before use. 

Scent suggestions; Dr Bronners makes different scents as well as unscented. Take your pick, I like citrus or lavender (just don't use peppermint in the shower).



Homemade hand soap

Foaming hand soap dispenser (I use old Method ones)
Fill 1/3 with Dr Bronners liquid castile soap
Fill the remaining 2/3 with water
Add extra essential oils for different scents

Gently shake to mix. Our favorite scent is peppermint with some added citrus. 


The castile soap can build up on sink basins, use some dish soap to gently clean.  




Kids bath salts

About 1 part epsom salt to 1 part baking soda, (I might use slightly more salts, the ratio is really up to you) and lavender essential oil.

I throw this together in a big plastic container (currently an old oxiclean tub) and mix with my hands. In the oxiclean tub I probably use about 20 drops of oil. I used to just make a mason jar worth and only used 3-5 drops of oil. Keep the jar sealed and dry, moisture will make the whole thing go really hard.

I add between a 1/8 - 1/3 cup of this to the tub every time I give the kids a bath. It's detoxifying and relaxing, plus great for diaper rash and any other private issues kids might develop. 


Homemade hand scrub

Again I just wing it when I make it so I'll have to measure next time! This is great for dry cracked hands. It exfoliates and moisturizes. Lotions will absorb much better after using a scrub. For my super dry CO winter hands I'll use this and then put on pure shae butter. 

~ 1 cup of brown sugar (you can also use white but I prefer brown)
~ 1/4 cup of an oil of your choice (sweet almond is great, also grape seed or olive would work well)
Plus any essential oils to make it smell yummy!

Mix and store in a small mason jar and keep it by the kitchen sink!

Scent suggestions. I'm a go to lavender person but I get sick of it quickly because I use it so much. So other combos I have that friends have suggested are almond and orange, and Douglas fir and grape fruit, which is really fresh great! 



I've tried different homemade, in shower, body scrubs made with epsom salts, oils and/or coffee and honey. However I have not found any I like. So once I make one I like I'll share!

No comments:

Post a Comment